Thursday, January 05, 2006

Invitation

The great Invitation of Benedictine spirituality is not to run away from the world and its responsibilities, but to become quiet long enough and listen carefully enough to find a new sense of balance in Christ. Anne Morrow Lindbergh, in her book, Gift from the Sea says, " I cannot be a nun in the midst of family life. I would not want to be. The solution for me, surely, is neither in total renunciation of the world, not in total acceptance of it. I must find a balance somewhere, or an alternating rhythm between these two extremes: a swinging of the pendulum between solitude and communion, retreat and return. In my periods of retreat, perhaps I can learn something to carry back into my worldly life." (pg. 30)

So the Invitation goes out: Come and learn something from the Rule of Benedict to carry back into your current life situations, especially those related to personal healing. Come and experience life as a "Barefoot Soul - Alert, Awake, Grateful, and only Partially at Home"(Joan Chittster).

No comments: