Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Farewell Statement

A Statement given to All Saints Anglican Church after our regular worship on July 18, 2010

Dear Saints,
Over the past two months, I've had occasion to do some deep reflection about my own sense of calling and my place of ministry in the Kingdom of God. As a young Christian, I initially considered becoming a Pastor, but later discerned this was not my calling and instead trained to become a Christian Counselor. Thanks be to God, he has allowed me to serve Him in various counseling settings since 1984.

In 1995, I was introduced to the Rule of St. Benedict and collaborated with with St. Luke's Episcopal Church to create the 8th Day Life Center, a healing ministry based on Benedict's Rule. That experience affected me profoundlyl and eventually led me to make my profession as a Benedictine in the Company of Jesus and become ordained as a priest - both in 2002.

Although it was exciting to be equipped to serve the Lord’s Supper, I was always uneasy about being a ‘priest with no Table’. I didn't feel called to be a church planter per se, but in 2006, the Episcopal Church began to explode in earnest and several of you called me to be your spiritual leader. I accepted that challenge because I love Anglicanism and wanted an Anglican church where Cindy and I could worship in 'spirit and in truth'.

Over the last three years it has been a joy to worship with you as we blend “Word, Sacrament and Spirit”. It has also been a joy to work on reclaiming Hope House from the devil’s clutches. A couple of recent shootings in the vicinity have highlighted just how urgent the need is, and have reaffirmed my desire to make an impact in what seems to be the epicenter of violence in Huntington. At the same time, I have been amazed by the number of new vocations coming into the Company of Jesus – and especially by young men and women who want to ground their ministries around their monastic callings.

During Bishop Loomis’ visit, I talked with the Vestry about all of this and how I had come to the conclusion once again that parish ministry is not my primary calling. Instead, I feel very much called to spend more time advancing the Company of Jesus and also to develop a new expression of the 8th Day Life healing ministry.

Cindy and I have been very privileged to serve in the founding and establishment of All Saints Anglican Church. We also look forward with excitement to what God will do in our midst through this new adventure. Please pray for us as we launch out into the deep. We love you all and hope to continue our relationships with you even as we refocus our ministry.

Together with Him, for the Gospel,
Fr. Andrew and Cindy Counts

No comments: